I got an iPad 2.
I am such an Apple nerd. I’m sorry, I know. It’s like the Mark of the Beast.
But, I love this thing so much. I want to make it a little bed to sleep in at night. What do I use it for?
Okay. List time.
1. Media input – Time Warner Cable TV, ABC Player, Netflix, Vevo. Plug me in, I am ready to go. And this whole battery life thing? No joke. I get at least six hours of streaming time. Don’t ask me how I know that. I’m hard at work. Seriously.
2. eReader – There is nothing like this badass screen to read books on. Oh, man. Shoot. I have a nook, which I still use for outside and the bathtub and whatever, but one thing I didn’t realized I missed: colored highlighting. Any color. Pick a color, you can highlight in it. If you think that highlighting is not important, then you have never read good non-fiction. Squee! Blue! Orange! Red! Chocolate! Puce!
3. Mobile RSS – I know a lot of people. I like some of them. And, I subscribed to their blog feeds. Here are some of them:
- A. Lee Martinez – author, juggler, he’s got some fun stuff to say and he doesn’t sling any BS
- Kristen Lamb – author, social media expert…no, social media goddess
- Chuck Wendig – author, screenwriter, oh, man, I love this guy. I have favorited three of his posts. Only three because I haven’t been able to get to the rest because I’m laughing so hard.
- Okay, yes, an obvious trend in who I follow. My point is still valid.
4. Social Media – What’s the deal with Twitter? Why do I twitch like a junkie when I’m away from it for too long? Not that I would know. I was a Twitter junkie on my iPhone long before the iPad, but for some reason, I always have to be plugged in. But Twitter for iPad? That app is so intuitive, it knows what I want to do before I do. You flip through pages, you follow links. Oh, my heart flutters.
And, GetGlue. I keep track of my overwhelming media consumption and earn BADGES! I am so excited about virtual stickers. What am I, eight years old? Yes! Check-in to Game of Thrones with 5,000 other people!
5. News – ABC News, Mashable, Wall Street Journal. Even fake news! The Onion has an app.
6. Productivity – You know, because that’s why I actually bought the thing. Ack, this is the most boring number in my list.
dropbox. yeah. confetti.
PDF Reader/Annotater. hurrah. vuvuzela.
Popplet, okay, now we’re talking. It’s like brainstorming. Paste images, draw pictures, text input, connect things. Like a white board, but digital.
And, of course, I immediately set the screen to this:
Why did I buy it? It may have something to do with hypnotoad, but I love it nonetheless.