It all started with a text.
Joe: Hey, that foam you need to make armor. Can that be any color?
Me: Yeah. You just spray paint over it.
Joe: I have something for you to see.
Someone in our apartment complex had used EVA foam pieces to try to sound proof their walls (they were a music student) and they were throwing out all of their pieces. All of them. I ended up around 30 pieces of foam. If you’re wondering what that is, it’s this stuff.
I had been doing some research about armor material for cosplay. I had bought some of this and built a Loki helmet over the course of a weekend. Now, here I was, with a surplus of foam. What to build?
Having fallen in love with the movie Frozen, I decided to make a warrior Elsa costume. Not just Elsa in armor, but Elsa in armor that she forged out of ice herself. It all started with a chestplate design, a slab of ice that she would conjure up.
I carved it out of the foam, experimented with some cutting techniques and there it was. Just as I envisioned. More or less.
It wasn’t until three months later that it got its coat of paint.
And started to look bad ass.
With that as the center piece, I went to work on the other pieces. Shin guards were supposed to be ice spikes.
The vambraces followed suit with some snowy accessorizing.
Of course not. She needs something that makes more logical sense. A hammer. Freeze her enemies, then smash them to pieces.
The (near) final product.
There you have it. Ice warrior Elsa will be debuting at WonderCon in Anaheim in April. See you there.
I made a deal with myself. If I could get a pro pass to San Diego Comic Con, I would cosplay one out of four days. Well, here I am, with my comic con pro pass, and I need to either put up or shut up.
I already have my costume for this year. I will have a post on that during comic con (so I can gauge people’s reactions; also, I don’t want to ruin the surprise). While working on the details of my costume, I found it quite relaxing and soothing, a great hobby that helps me wind down.
That’s right. I’ve just gone up to the next level of nerd. I’m a cosplay nerd.
So, next year, will be much more detailed and much more work.
I recruited my dad to help and we came up with a plan. The plan is basically EVA foam is magic.
We cut out our foam and used wires to secure it. I’m not a fan of using the wires in the future. It leaves divots. We heated the foam with a heat gun. Times vary. The foam is really flimsy and we’re still trying to think of ways to reenforce it.
I used more of the foam to add some detailing. I used a hot glue gun to adhere the pieces. There’s a little spillage because hot glue’s not the most precise of glue, but you can use the heated tip of the gun to remelt what’s spilled over and smooth it out. The glue does not melt the foam.
This is our test piece. Next, we’re going to try paint methods.
Ultimately, the goal is this.
It’s a start.