I made a deal with myself. If I could get a pro pass to San Diego Comic Con, I would cosplay one out of four days. Well, here I am, with my comic con pro pass, and I need to either put up or shut up.
I already have my costume for this year. I will have a post on that during comic con (so I can gauge people’s reactions; also, I don’t want to ruin the surprise). While working on the details of my costume, I found it quite relaxing and soothing, a great hobby that helps me wind down.
That’s right. I’ve just gone up to the next level of nerd. I’m a cosplay nerd.
So, next year, will be much more detailed and much more work.
I recruited my dad to help and we came up with a plan. The plan is basically EVA foam is magic.
We cut out our foam and used wires to secure it. I’m not a fan of using the wires in the future. It leaves divots. We heated the foam with a heat gun. Times vary. The foam is really flimsy and we’re still trying to think of ways to reenforce it.
After it was shaped, I measured for the slits and cut with an X-acto. It really doesn’t take much pressure at all.
I used more of the foam to add some detailing. I used a hot glue gun to adhere the pieces. There’s a little spillage because hot glue’s not the most precise of glue, but you can use the heated tip of the gun to remelt what’s spilled over and smooth it out. The glue does not melt the foam.
This is our test piece. Next, we’re going to try paint methods.
Ultimately, the goal is this.
It’s a start.
The armor is looking great!
Thanks! Still in the trial period, but liking how it looks so far.
I’m not going to lie, armor kind of scares me… But my goal is to make a costume with armor next year.